Sacramento residents will have lots of time, places to vote this year
Big changes are coming to how we vote here in Sacramento County, beginning with the June 5 election. Voters will have more flexibility to choose how, when and where they cast their ballots. But some traditional neighborhood polling places will no longer be operating.
Here are the four big changes:
- Vote by Mail: All registered voters in Sacramento County will be sent a ballot in the mail. Ballots will be sent out on May 7th and should arrive in the following days.
- Tip: As soon as you receive your mail-in ballot, you may complete it, place it in the provided envelope (sign the back and add postage), and return it in the mail. Mail-in ballots must be postmarked by election day, June 5, to be counted.
- Use a Drop Box: Voters can also choose to return their mail-in ballot by dropping it off at any Drop Box in the county. Drop boxes will be available across the county as soon as ballots are received.
- Tip: Most libraries will have drop boxes! You can find all drop box locations here.
- Vote In Person: You can still vote in-person at ANY Vote Center in the county. Vote Centers will be open up to 11 days before and including Election Day! Voting materials in multiple languages and disability-accessible ballots will be available at EVERY Vote Center.
- Tip: Vote Centers are open on weekends, too! You can vote at ANY Vote Center, not just the one closest to your home. You can find vote center locations and hours here.
- Register to Vote at a Vote Center: Not registered to vote or know someone who forgot? You can visit any Vote Center to register and vote the same day up until and including on Election Day.
- Tip: You can also update your registration at any Vote Center, like changing an address or selecting a different political party.
Here are the important dates to keep in mind:
- May 7th – Ballots begin to be mailed out to EVERY registered voter in Sacramento County
- May 8th - Drop Boxes will be open throughout Sacramento County
- May 26th - Some Vote Centers begin to open, providing in-person voting for 11 DAYS!
- June 2nd - MORE Vote Centers will be open, making in-person voting on the Saturday and Sunday prior to Election Day possible for the first time in Sacramento County!
- June 5th - ELECTION DAY! ALL Vote Centers in Sacramento County will be open 7am-8pm for in-person voting, registering & voting, or for dropping off vote-by-mail ballots.
- Tip: Be sure to return your ballot by 8:00pm on Election Day!
For more information, visit Sacramento.vote
Remember to make a plan to vote!